Thursday, August 31, 2006

Smaller and simpler still...

My mom and I have been sharing together and have noticed that every time we have tried to deal with an issue of weakness in our lives we have ended up caught in a cycle of striving and stumbling and yet we have also noticed that every time we get enraptured in the presence of God the weakness is made ineffective. In fact, the weakness is made irrelevent. Hmmmmm.......

If sin results when we get our eyes off of Jesus, why do we (the church) tend to place so much emphasis on our responce and our behavior? Are we not doing a disfavor to the precious bride stumbling towards ecstacy? Why are we so oriented to think it all depends on us? Why do we look at ourselves at all?! We should instead gaze into the eyes of redemption and do nothing less than draw the eyes of the broken, and weak amoung us to do the same!


We are all brought into the journey of faith by recognising the work of Christ.......is not the rest of the journey meant to be more of the same? Real and lasting transformation comes from simply meditating on the beauty, goodness and greatness of Jesus. We simply come in our filth and rags to be restored...again and again.....humbly accepting the rainment he clothes us with, confidently delighting in his affection and declaration that we ARE His 'beloved'.

"As you have therefore recieved Christ Jesus as Lord, so walk in Him" Colossians 2:6

"God wants us to experience the "superior pleasures" of the Gospel. He knows that we are best equipped to resist the "lesser pleasures" of sin as we experience satisfaction in intimacy with him." - Mike Bickle

.....when we are faithful to keep ourselves in His holy presence and to make Him absolutely central in our lives, this not only hinders us from offending Him or doing anything that displeases Him (at least willfully), it also gives rise to freedom - a divine freedom - and, if you will not misunderstand me, a familiarity with God tht makes possible asking and recieving the graces we need." -Brother Lawrence

"When you are too perfect at controlling yourself you can become harsh, judgmental, and too easily offended by others." -Francois de Salignac de La Mothe-Fenelon

"....focus, rather on “being”. Being loved. Being God’s child. Being redeemed. Being forgiven. Being accepted. Being favored. Being cherished. Being approved......"-Brian Petak

"I consider myself the most wretched of sinners, full of sores and corruption;
I have committed all sorts of crimes against the King.
Touched with a sense of regret, I confess to Him all my wickedness;
I ask His forgiveness;
I abandon myself into His hands so he can do with me as He pleases.
The King, full of mercy and goodness,
very far from chastising me, embrces me with love, makes me eat at His table,
serves me with His own hands, gives me the key to His treasures.
He also talks with me all the time in the most delightful way in a thousand ways,
and treats me in all respects as His favorite." - Brother Lawerence





No comments: